Welcome to the HeavyMetalPro Forums

It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 1:14 am

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:45 pm 
Stratego
Stratego

Okay we have all read in the novels or the sourcebooks (Housebooks, TROs etc...) about how this mech has been in a family for generations and handed down to the son or daughter by their parents etc...now this brings up the question of how does this play into things with all the new rules for primitive mechs and such vs how we see these antiques saving the day or being blown up before the story ends. Also leads into how some of the mechs and such that are found in the SL caches still working and fully functional. Now I know this is fiction and the plot of the story calls for these things working etc...but I think with the current "new" information it is a valid question. How do we figure out if the Phoenix Hawk that Tai-sha Hatshao (no not a real person in any game) is one that first rolled of the original lines for this mech or was it upgraded at some point to meet at the very least 3025 tech standards?

Darkness is a friend of mine. Sometimes I have to beat it back, or it would overwhelm me. Shirley Meier

[url]http://karagin12.livejournal.com/[/url]

The Wookiee, he's not wearing any pants!

[img]http://www.heavymetalpro.com/countries/mil-army.gif[/img]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:45 am 
General Know it All
General Know it All

Good question, if your "Family" 'Mech is that old (i.e a "Primitive" design surely that 'Mech / Vee/ ASF would have be "Government" / House issue, so the "Family" brought it when the Government / House sold it off for "scrap" when newer designs came around) if it's that old & has survived Combat though it's been repaired numorous times can it still be classed as "Primitive" or has the Combat repairs brought it up to current tech standards (3025) ?, Or does your Family Honor demand that it is kept as near to it's Original tech state as possible ?.

Dave.

[img]http://www.heavymetalpro.com/countries/flag-uk.gif[/img]

Ahahahahaha! Ahahahaha! Aahahaha!

BEWARE!!!!!

Yrs sincerely
The Opera Ghost
— (Terry Pratchett, Maskerade)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:09 am 
Supreme Mugwump
Supreme Mugwump

good questions, i would assume that in most cases family honor would demand to keep it 1. functioning 2. in prime condition and 3. as original as possible IN THAT ORDER

in other words: when spare parts become rare they would have to use what is available and afordable to keep the thing running and shiny. most familys would gladly replace a primitive piece of equipment with a more modern one because 1. they want the think to work 2. they want the thing to look (as) good (as possible) and they simply could not afford to maintain their mech as a mere museum piece. for two reasons: A. they would not have the money to do so. B. the family heirloom is their source of nobility and their source of income. they have what property they have as a tithe from their lord, wich means they have to provide a functioning mech in exchange for being allowed to use the land.
this is how knighthood worked in the old times: u get a piece of land, and have to serve in the army as a knight in exchange. this included keeping up the expensive equipment (armor,sword, warhorse etc.) wich easyly was more valuable than the whole cattle of a small village.
the tithe of a modern knight would be bigger, and the income higher, but the cost would be higher as well.

short conclusion: unless the game master decides otherwise the mech would be on the standard of at least 3025 because spare parts of more primitive times would not be affordable.
in many cases the mech would differ from that standard in some way(replace a PPC with a large laser or so) because the spare needed was not available.
for simplicitys sake the GM could however rule it to be a certain model from the books.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:31 pm 
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

I thought that it was more the case that Mechs became personal property during the sucession wars, before then they were state or planetary property so the primatives would have been out of service by then. Of course somebody could have raided museums and private collections of older mechs as they became desparate for equipment.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:30 pm 
Stratego
Stratego

Quote:
I thought that it was more the case that Mechs became personal property during the sucession wars, before then they were state or planetary property so the primatives would have been out of service by then. Of course somebody could have raided museums and private collections of older mechs as they became desparate for equipment.
The way they talk in several of the Housebooks and such mechs were being handed down shortly after they were issued out to some of the elite units. Also look at merc units...no machine in a merc unit is going to be in top shape or even original spec so the issue is still there as well.

Darkness is a friend of mine. Sometimes I have to beat it back, or it would overwhelm me. Shirley Meier

[url]http://karagin12.livejournal.com/[/url]

The Wookiee, he's not wearing any pants!

[img]http://www.heavymetalpro.com/countries/mil-army.gif[/img]